Reports to: SNAP Outreach Manager
About Northern Illinois Food Bank:
Northern Illinois Food Bank provides nutritious food to all those in need through our own efforts and those of our more than 800 partner agencies in the following 13 counties - Boone, DuPage, DeKalb, Grundy, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Ogle, Stephenson, Will and Winnebago. Northern Illinois Food Bank acquires, gathers, handles, and distributes approximately three million pounds of donated, government, and purchased food each month through local food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, youth activity centers and other food assistance sites.
The SNAP Outreach Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to provide SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly food stamps) application assistance to individuals and families throughout the assigned region (DuPage and Kane Counties). This also includes providing program information and eligibility pre-screening. Must be able to document all services provided in an electronic database and work with other members of the SNAP outreach team to problem-solve and develop best practices.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist with SNAP (food stamp) applications – work at various partner food pantries and community agencies to provide bilingual (English and Spanish) eligibility pre-screening and application assistance to low-income individuals/families.
- Provide program information and referral help – to individuals, families, and community networks based on a comprehensive understanding of food resources and other available benefits. Must learn ins and outs of the online benefits application process. Responsible for remaining up-to-date with changes in SNAP and sharing this knowledge with local partners.
- Community partnerships – build relationships with partner food pantries, local government offices, and social service agencies. Occasionally represent Northern Illinois Food Bank at such meetings.
- Reporting and administration – record all activity in a timely fashion in online database for tracking and funding purposes.
- Collaborating, strategizing, and advocating – must be able to attend monthly team meetings, quarterly trainings, and weekly conference calls as assigned. Assist with developing outreach materials.
- Commitment to alleviating poverty through food assistance; ability to promote the food bank’s mission, vision, and values. Passionate about helping others.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Ability to translate written materials into Spanish a plus.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, timely, and thorough. Pro-active communicator.
- Independent, self-starter, self-motivated, goal-oriented. Able to create, organize, and stick to your own schedule with minimal oversight.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (Outlook, Word, and Excel) and data entry
- Outgoing, respectful, and discreet; ability to remain calm and friendly with people from diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment as well as in local area food pantries and community spaces. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to drive. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required as well as the ability to lift bags weighing up to approximately 20 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position. This position regularly requires 18-20 hours per week. Some flexibility with days and hours of work is available, although evenings and weekend hours may occasionally be required.
- Must have reliable vehicle with valid driver’s license
- Must be able to travel throughout assigned region (DuPage and Kane Counties). Position includes mileage reimbursement.
- Must reside in assigned region (DuPage and Kane Counties)
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or commensurate professional experience in sales, community organizing, public benefits, or social services.
Click the link below to apply:
Northern Illinois Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer