This job posting is no longer active on ChicagoJobs.com and therefore cannot accept online applications.
Chicago Zoological SocietyLocation: Brookfield, IL 60513 Document ID: A8174-01GH Posted on: 2014-06-1606/16/2014 Job Type: Temporary
Senior Community Program Assistant (Seasonal)
Since Brookfield Zoo opened its doors to the public in 1934, the Chicago Zoological Society has had a legacy of educating the public about environmental conservation. The Conservation, Education and Training (CET) staff at Brookfield Zoo is continuing the tradition by incorporating an innovative learning strategy to create a variety of programs for students, parents, teachers, and other community conservationists. Some of these programs include Zoo Camp which provides opportunities for participants to explore and learn about what it takes to care for our resident animals while enjoying games, songs, and even helping out the keepers by making enrichment treats for animals. Sleepover Safaris may take advantage of exhibits being open late, learn how to make behavioral enrichments for animals and wake up the next morning to breakfast and morning hike to see their behavioral enrichment activities given to resident animals.
As part of the CET team, the Senior Community Program Assistant is responsible for performing duties that support an important rung of the Career Ladder program, which creates opportunities to inspire conservation leadership in diverse youth.
The Senior Community Program Assistant:
- Provides supervision for Youth Volunteers and Community Program Assistants at the zoo and on field trips.
- Assists in the enforcement of program rules and ensures quality of the tasks completed.
- Develops scheduling for Youth Volunteers and Community Program Assistants on a daily basis.
- Ensures effective communication between Youth Volunteers, outreach staff, and Conservation Leadership Program Supervisor.
- Assists in maintaining the quality of Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) interpretation.
- Assists in developing and conducting training and team-building programming for Youth Volunteers and Community Program Assistants.
- Assists with other Career Ladder and community outreach programs at the zoo and off-site.
Position Requirements and Specifications
As Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days per year, this position does require flexible availability to work any five days out of seven days each week with work shifts that are generally from four to eight hours in length. The position also requires the ability to work non-standard hours such as weekends and holidays. This is a seasonal (temporary) position. The
starting wage for this position is $12.25 per hour.
The requirements for this position include:
- Minimum one year of college or equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
- Ability to take initiative to ensure task completion without close supervision required.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with youth from diverse backgrounds required.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Incumbents must have the ability to work non-standard hours such as weekends and holidays.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
The desirable qualifications include:
- Two years within the Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) at Brookfield Zoo or two years experience working directly
- with teens in volunteer or mentorship setting required.
- Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
This requisition is to actively recruit for immediate openings in May 2014.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities / Women / Veterans / Disabled.
|More Jobs from Chicago Zoological Society|