This job posting is no longer active on ChicagoJobs.com and therefore cannot accept online applications.
Chicago Zoological SocietyDocument ID: A7045-01LL Posted on: 04/08/2013 Job Type: Temporary
Seasonal Keeper, Zoo Nutrition Services
As one of the top zoos, Seasonal Keepers in Zoo Nutrition Services receive valuable hands-on experience by assisting in the preparation of various food/diets/supplements in accordance with nutrition services protocols while also learning and completing diet change forms, labels, and protocols. You will demonstrate your understanding of principles of nutrition, food science/service and warehousing while accurately preparing and delivering food and supplies to animal buildings and exhibits. Following nutrition services sanitation and USDA guidelines, you will thoroughly clean the equipment and commissary building. While this position has very little contact with animals, your genuine interest in animals and passion for their welfare is an important characteristic. Your friendly demeanor, good interpersonal skills and outstanding communication skills will contribute to creating an extraordinary guest experience as Seasonal Keepers may interact with guests facilitating their enjoyment of animals and their zoo visit.
As Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year, Seasonal Keeper positions require the ability to work rotating shifts including weekends, holidays and evenings. This position also requires that you must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license. This is a temporary (seasonal) position. The starting wage is $9.95 per hour.
The requirements for this position include:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Bachelor's degree or college coursework in relevant biological field or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Incumbent must possess an understanding of practical principles of nutrition, food science/service, cafeteria, and warehousing. Nutrition, food science/service, warehousing, and cafeteria experience helpful. Knowledge of mechanized equipment and machinery helpful.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills. The ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner required.
- Good decision-making skills. Must be alert and make sound, independent judgments. Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently. Must be reliable.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language fluently.
- Valid driver's license required. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
- One or more of the following licensures may be required: Valid "C" or "B" (CDL) Driver's License.
- Valid medical authorization card required for positions with commercial motor vehicle driving responsibilities.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience. Multilingual ability and Spanish fluency a plus.
|More Jobs from Chicago Zoological Society|