This job posting is no longer active on ChicagoJobs.com and therefore cannot accept online applications.
Chicago Zoological SocietyDocument ID: A7045-01LJ Posted on: 06/17/2013 Job Type: Temporary
Seasonal Keeper, Children Zoo and Hamill Family Play Zoo
As one of the top zoos with over 450 species of animals, Seasonal Keepers receive valuable hands-on zookeeping experience while providing high-quality care for the welfare of the collection. You will demonstrate your practical understanding of animal behavior, ability to work with live animals safely, and attention to details while closely observing assigned animals, carefully observing the condition of the assigned area and animal enclosures, and maintaining animal record documentation as assigned. Your friendly demeanor, good interpersonal skills and outstanding communication skills will contribute to creating an extraordinary guest experience as Seasonal Keepers may work in public areas and may interact with guests.
As Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year, Seasonal Keeper positions require the ability to work rotating shifts including weekends, holidays and evenings. This position also requires that you must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license. This is a temporary (seasonal) position. The starting wage for this position is $9.95 per hour.
This position is in Children's Zoo and Hamill Family Play Zoo working with native North American and/or farm animals ; public speaking skills and public interaction with guests (children and families) and operant conditioning skills a plus.
The requirements for this position include:
- High school graduate or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree or college coursework in relevant biological field or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
- Minimum six months animal care facility, farm, kennel, or equivalent animal experience preferred. Incumbent must possess an understanding of practical principles of animal behavior and ability to work with live animals safely. Knowledge of natural history, zoology, or animal husbandry preferred
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills. Must be able to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be able to learn and integrate information, knowledge, and direction quickly.
- Must be reliable. Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language fluently.
- Valid driver's license required. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state license required for out-of-state residents.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience. Multilingual ability and Spanish fluency a plus.
|More Jobs from Chicago Zoological Society|