Posting Name: Counselor/Therapist
Chicago, IL 60612
The Safer Foundation is a social service provider to individuals with arrest and conviction records. Through a full range of services, including case management, educational instruction and advocacy, we focus on preparing individuals for the world of work by helping them find and keep productive and meaningful employment.
Please note that after you “submit” your application, you will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt. Your email provider might misfile this mail as spam or junk mail. Check your spam and junk folders.
The counselor/therapist will be housed within the Safer Treatment Center, with cross-functional reporting to the Working | 4 | Peace program—a program that works to engage individuals with arrest or conviction records living in communities affected by gun violence. This position will a) conduct outreach and engagement activities at various community-sites throughout the city, b) provide crisis intervention and case management to referred W4P clients with immediate medical, mental health, substance use needs or housing needs, before engaging in employment or outpatient therapy, and c) provide ongoing therapy and counseling to W4P participants engaged with the Safer Treatment Center
This position is budgeted for 10 months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct outreach and engagement activities at various community-sites throughout the city
- Provide crisis intervention and case management to referred clients with immediate medical, mental health, substance use needs or housing needs, before engaging in employment or outpatient therapy
- Conduct assessments using standardized assessments tools
- Develop treatment plans that are appropriate to the needs of the individual.
- Facilitate individual and group counseling sessions with clients; possibly evening groups
- Complete clinical documentation and progress notes in a timely manner consistent with contract requirements, agency, state, and federal guidelines.
- Administer, interpret and document urine analysis drug testing
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with community stakeholders/referral sources
- Complete discharge, discharge assessments and discharge summaries for each client.
- Document milestones in CareLogic, Salesforce, or other databases.
- May serve as back-up for other Safer Treatment Center staff when necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Passion for social justice.
- Knowledge of criminal justice system and re-entry.
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests, learning and motivation; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders
- Knowledge of principles, methods and procedures for treatment and rehabilitation of substance abuse
- Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics and societal trends and influences
- Computer/Technology Literate: Knows how to leverage the internet and computer applications to obtain information
- Experience using electronic health record systems to document services and progress notes. Special consideration will be given to candidates with experience using CareLogic.
- Skilled in active listening and conveying information to others effectively
- Skilled in critical thinking, judgment and decision-making
- Experience in and passion for program design and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of ASAM Patient Placement Criteria. Certification in the CANS, ANSA, or IM-CANS assessment(s) is a plus
- In-depth practical knowledge of HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2.
- Knowledge of Rule 2060 governing substance use treatment services in Illinois; Knowledge of Rule 132 is a plus.
- Knowledge of Medicaid-reimbursement requirements as they relate to service delivery
- Knowledge of Medicaid managed care
Education and Experience:
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a human service discipline (counseling, psychology, criminal justice, etc.) with 2 years providing substance use counseling/therapy in an outpatient setting or in a social service agency serving a similar population. Individuals who also have experience providing mental health assessments and therapy will be given special consideration.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
CADC, LPC, LSW, certification/license or any other licenses that satisfies 77 Ill. Adm. Code 2060.309 governing substance use services in Illinois is required.
Safer Foundation is a drug-free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Minorities/Females/Veterans
No Phone Calls Please